Shunji Bridge is a representative component reflecting Quanzhou’s Transportation Network as an emporium of world maritime trade. It was the node of land transport between the ancient city of Quanzhou and the south bank of the Jinjiang River, facilitating maritime trade in Quanzhou. As the main access to ancient Quanzhou’s commercial district, the bridge enhanced the city’s water-land transshipment system. The site of Shunji Bridge is located outside Deji Gate, the southern entrance to ancient Quanzhou. Crossing over the Jinjiang River, the bridge is named after Shunji Temple (also known as Tianhou Temple). Shunji Bridge was built in 1211 by the then governor Zou Yinglong of the Southern Song Dynasty. It remained in use until the 20th century. After the 14th century, it was repaired many times. Today, Shunji Bridge is preserved as a heritage site. The construction of Shunji Bridge drew on the techniques used to build Luoyang Bridge. Using the “raft-shaped foundation” method, the river bed was dumped with stones to form the structural foundation upon which stone slabs were crisscross overlaid to form the piers where stone beam slabs could be rested on. It was recorded that Shunji Bridge was over 150 zhang long (one zhang measures around 3.3 meters) and 1.4 zhang wide with 31 piers. There remain some bridge deck and 11 pier sites.