Zhenwu Temple is a representative component reflecting the Institutiaonl Guarantee of Quanzhou as the emporium of world maritime trade. Founded in the era of the Song and Yuan dynasties and dedicated to the worship of Emperor Zhenwu, this Daoist temple served as an important landmark within the ancient port of Fashi. The temple was an important source of spiritual support for merchants engaged in maritime trade and was the venue chose by Quanzhou officials to make their sacrifices to the sea. Zhenwu Temple sits in the eastern part of Quanzhou city in the foothills of Stone Mountain on the northern bank of the Jinjiang River. It consists of a group of courtyard structures leaning into the mountainous landscape. It was first constructed during the Song Dynasty. The site sits in the east and faces westward. Within the current site, starting from the lower elevation near the entrance to the higher elevation at the back, you will first find the temple gate, then the stone steps, the pavilion, and finally Zhenwu Grand Hall. The temple gate features a decorated archway. Behind the temple gate, carved into the rock, there are 24 stone steps. The original handrails from the Song Dynasty, along with the original carved stone lion adornments, remain on either side of the stone steps. On the platform above the stone steps, there is a rock that resembles a turtle and a snake -- a symbol of Emperor Zhenwu. On this rock, there is the “Tunhai” (devouring the sea) stele, erected there in 1533 by Jinjiang head magistrate Han Yue. The pedestal of the statue in the Zhenwu Grand Hall bears an inscription of “Chengxinlang”, an official rank in the Song Dynasty.